How to Write Your First Job Resume [For 2024]
So there you are, sitting in front of a screen, staring at a blank Word page for hours, with one task at hand: writing your first job resume.
Where do you even start?
And most importantly: How do you fill those 1-2 pages when you have no work experience?
We feel your struggle and we’re here to help!
In this article, we’re going to guide you through the entire process of creating a first job resume from start to finish.
Let’s dive right in, shall we?
How to Write Your First Job Resume
- Pick the right resume template
- Write down your contact information (correctly)
- Include a resume objective
- List your education (in detail)
- Instead of work experience, focus on…
- Highlight your skills
- Mention optional sections
- Stick to the one-page limit
- Get inspired by a first-job resume example
Don’t worry, we’re going to cover all of the above in detail!
Starting with the first step:
#1. Pick the Right First Job Resume Format and Template
There are 3 main resume formats you can pick from. Each of them highlights a different part of your resume.
- Reverse-Chronological Resume - In this format, your work experiences and education are listed in reverse-chronological order.
- Functional Resume - Instead of work experience, this format focuses on your skills and achievements.
- Combination (or Hybrid) Resume - This format focuses on both your skills and work experience.
For 99% of job-seekers, we recommend sticking with the reverse-chronological format.
While a functional resume can sometimes help for career changers or recent graduates, it’s still nowhere near as common as the reverse chronological one.
Plus, recruiters world-wide are familiar with the reverse-chronological format, making it a safer bet.
A reverse-chronological resume looks as follows:
Once you’ve picked the format, the next step is to perfect your layout, font, and the like. Here’s what we recommend for that:
- Use a Two-Column Layout. A two-column resume layout allows you to fit a lot more content into your resume.
- Pick a Common Font. We recommend Ubuntu, Overpass, or Roboto.
- Use Bullets to Describe Your Experiences.
- Don’t Go Over One Page. Unless you’re a professional with a decade of work experience, we recommend sticking to the one-page resume limit.
Want to avoid all the hassle of formatting your resume layout? We don’t blame you - if you wanted to build a good-looking resume from scratch, it would take you hours before you could even start filling it in.
Thankfully, there’s an easier way out: using a resume builder.
With Novoresume, all you have to do is pick a template, and fill in the contents. It’s that simple.
And on top of that, Novorésumé resumes are ATS-friendly . Meaning, your resume won’t be swallowed up by an applicant tracking system just because it can’t read it.
Want to get started with Novorésumé? Browse our resume templates .
#2. Write Down Your Contact Information (Correctly)
It’s important for the recruiter to have at least two ways of reaching back to you.
Meaning, you should always provide your contact information in your resume . That includes:
- First and last name
- Phone number
Apart from these must-haves, you can also provide:
- LinkedIn URL - This is a good way to complement your resume. It also makes the recruiter’s life easier since they usually check your LinkedIn profile anyway. Make sure all information is updated and consistent with your resume, though.
- Relevant social media (like Quora or StackOverflow) - Any social media that is related to the job position and puts you in good light should be included in your resume. In most cases. If you’re a developer, it could be projects on GitHub. Writer? Personal blog.
- Website or blog - Again, this should be something related to the job. It shows your interest and dedication to the industry and how you spend some of your free time.
When it comes to your contact information, the key is to write everything correctly . Double-check you’ve spelled your name and email right, make sure the phone number you’ve listed can be reached, and that the accounts you have linked to are up to date .
Something else you should know regarding location is how much detail you should be providing.
The reason recruiters want to know your location is so that they have an idea of whether you’re in the vicinity of the company or not (and if you’ll need to relocate for work).
That means, providing the city and country where you live will be enough. No need for your full home address.
#3. Include a Resume Objective
Recruiters spend on average 7 seconds scanning each resume before deciding if it’s worth more consideration or not.
That means your resume has about 7 seconds to leave a great first impression and convince the recruiter you’re the person they’re looking for.
A good resume objective does that for you.
A resume objective is a 2-3 sentence snapshot of your skills, achievements, and career goals . Its purpose is to communicate your motivation for getting into the field and your interest in this particular position.
This makes it ideal for the first job resume of a recent graduate or somebody who’s changing careers. Basically, any resume with no work experience .
Your resume objective should be tailored to the position you are applying for and highlight skills that will help the company achieve its goal. Use as many facts and numbers as you can to back up any statements or achievements.
- Creative and motivated recent graduate with a B.A. in Marketing from the University of Michigan. Seeking permanent employment in the field of marketing after completing successful internships in 2 major media companies. Looking to further develop my market analysis skills and contribute to future marketing strategy developments at XY Company.
- I am looking to put my marketing skills into action by initially working for the marketing department of a well-known company until I can finally get to an executive position.
#4. List Your Education (In Detail)
For starters, you should know how to list your education entries correctly in the following format:
- Program Name e.g.: B.A. in Information Systems
- University Name e.g.: University of Chicago
- Years Attended e.g.: 07/2013 - 05/2017
- GPA (only if really high)
- Honors (If applicable) e.g. Cum Laude
Exchange Program (If applicable) e.g. Exchange program in Berlin, Germany
Apart from your skills, your education is the biggest selling point in your first job resume. This is not the place to be humble and play down your achievements!
Write down your GPA (if it’s something impressive), emphasize your honors, and most importantly, highlight your academic achievements by describing them in detail.
What you can also do is list specific courses that you have taken that are relevant to the position you are applying for.
Here’s an example of what an entry on the education section should look like:
B.A. in English Literature (Cum Laude)
07/2014 - 05/2018
- Courses: Advanced Topics in Literature: Shakespeare’s Work
- Clubs: Boston University Drama Club
- Exchange program in London, UK
#5. Instead of Work Experience, Focus On This
As a recent graduate, the recruiter knows you don’t have any work experience - and that’s OK. As long as you’re applying for a junior or entry-level position, the experience isn’t something expected from you.
Instead, the recruiter will be looking for other experiences that enrich your profile, like:
- Extracurricular Activities
When talking about these experiences, format them just like you’d format your work experience.
Business Analyst Internship
05/2019 - 12/2019
- Ran weekly and monthly analysis on diverse areas of the business
- Created insightful reports of the analysis to present to managers and teams
- Defined strategic KPIs, in order to monitor the efficiency of commercial operations
When possible, try to focus on listing your achievements and not your responsibilities. This will help you stand out from the rest of the applicants.
Haven’t done any internships? Include extracurricular activities.
More often than not, an applicant with extracurricular activities and an average GPA will impress the recruiter much more than a 4.0 GPA student with nothing else to show. When listing your extracurricular activities, each entry should have the following format:
Moot Court Club Member
2017 - 2019
- Participated for two years in a row at the Philip C. Jessup International Law Moot Court Competition, making it to the finals in 2019
- Researched and prepared written pleadings, called memorials addressing timely issues of public international law
- Helped train the new club members in topics of international law
Finally, you can also list independent projects, if you have any. Think, something you did on the side just for yourself. This can be a personal project, small business or startup, side-gig, blog, etc.
Amy’s Book Club Blog
2018 - Present
- Created my own book club website for reviewing and discussing the latest books.
- Curated a monthly book calendar for my followers to follow, combining trending, relevant, and classic books.
- Created over 40 book review articles.
- On average, received 2000 visitors per month to the blog.
#6. Highlight Your Skills
The two types of skills you can mention on your resume are soft skills and hard skills.
Soft skills are attributes that help you adapt to work environments, work in a team, and apply your hard skills effectively. They are related to your personality, social skills, communication, attitude, etc.
Hard skills refer to technical knowledge and specific tools. They are skills that one learns and applies directly to the job. Some examples of hard skills include:
- Financial accounting
- Adobe Illustrator
Although soft skills are becoming more and more in demand by employers , for your first job resume, we recommend sticking to hard skills.
Sure, attributes like “teamwork” or “critical thinking” are much appreciated by just about any employer.
The thing is, though, the recruiter can’t really tell if you actually have critical thinking skills, or just listed it on your resume to fill space.
Hard skills, on the other hand, are very easy to test.
Tailor Skills to the Job Ad
Not sure which skills to mention in your first job resume?
The simplest way to find the essential ones is to check the job ad.
The recruiter themselves mentioned the skills they’re looking for - the only thing you need to do is mention them in your resume (as long as you have them, anyway).
Let’s say you’re applying for a graphic designer position that wants the following qualifications and skills:
- Adobe Creative Suite proficiency, particularly InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop and Acrobat; XD, Animate and/or After Effects are a plus
- Working knowledge of presentation software (Canva, PowerPoint and/or Keynote)
- Ability to work under pressure, manage work on multiple projects daily, manage a large workload and meet deadlines.
- Detail-oriented, highly organized
Based on that, your skills section should include the following:
- Adobe Illustrator, Photoshop, and Acrobat
- After Effects and Cinema4D
- Canva and Keynote
- Time management
If the job ad isn’t too descriptive, you can also check out these 101+ most in-demand skills for 2024 .
#7. Mention Optional Sections
Still have some space on your resume?
That’s not a bad thing! You can use this space to your advantage and add some other useful sections.
Here are some ideas:
- Volunteering - If you have some volunteering experience, make sure to include it in your first job resume. Such a section shows commitment, dedication, and a sense of purpose, something most recruiters will appreciate.
- Languages - With companies becoming more and more international, additional languages are always appreciated.
- Hobbies - You can show your genuine interest in the industry or field by listing some relevant hobbies/interests.
- Awards & Certifications - Whether it’s an award from an essay competition in college or a certificate from an online course, anything that flatters your profile should be added.
#8. Stick to the One-Page Limit
“ How long should a resume be? ” seems like an eternal dilemma at this point.
Generally, the answer is: it depends.
Since you’re making a first job resume, the answer is: definitely one page .
Unless you have an extensive employment history that can’t fit into one page, there’s no need to go over that limit.
It’s unlikely that the recruiter will want to look at two pages of extracurriculars and hobbies.
#9. Get Inspired by This First-Job Resume
Need some inspiration for your resume? Check out the resume examples below.
First Job Resume FAQ
Still have some questions on how to write a convincing first job resume?
We’ll answer them here.
1. What do I put on my no-experience resume?
There’s plenty of other things you can include in your resume instead of work experience. For starters, you should:
- Focus on your education, making sure the entries are formatted correctly.
- Pick the right skills that match what the employer is looking for.
- Talk about internships, personal projects, or extracurricular activities. Describe your achievements in detail.
If you still have some space left, you could use it to your advantage and add extra sections like volunteer work, languages, awards & certificates, or hobbies.
2. Is a resume necessary for a first job?
Depending on the region, a resume or CV is always necessary for a job application, be it the first or the 20th.
Before deciding if they should call you for an interview, the recruiters need to have some insight into you and your skills.
3. Do I need work experience to land my first job?
Short answer: You don’t!
If you’re a recent graduate, it’s a given that you won’t have any work experience. Most employers don’t actually expect years of work experience for an entry-level or junior position.
Instead, they’ll be looking at your other types of experiences (internships, extracurricular activities, etc.) to decide on whether you’re a good fit for the job or not.
4. How do you write a resume for your first job?
The process is quite similar to the one for writing a regular resume, but with a few tweaks.
The exact steps for creating a first job resume are:
- Instead of work experience, focus on extracurricular activities, internships, projects, etc.
Writing your first job resume doesn’t have to be stressful!
Remember the following tips and you’ll do just fine:
- Pick the right format and template to avoid the hassle of formatting your resume. Make sure to pick an ATS-friendly resume template.
- Write a concise and attention-grabbing resume objective. Show the recruiter that you’re relevant for the role and that they should read the rest of your resume.
- Instead of work experience, include information on your internships, projects, and extracurricular activities.
- Resume and Cover Letter
- 11 Best Communication Skills...
11 Best Communication Skills for Your Resume (With Examples)
11 min read · Updated on February 13, 2024
Are you properly conveying communication skills in your resume?
When it comes to employment skills, few are more important than the ability to effectively communicate with others. No matter your profession, chances are that you'll need some level of communication skill to interact with co-workers, managers, subordinates, and customers. As a result, employers who are evaluating potential hires always want to see evidence of communication skills in a resume.
But which communication skills should you include in your resume to make the best possible impression on employers?
In this post, we'll explain why you need to highlight these skills in your resume, examine 11 of the top communication skills, and offer tips to help you demonstrate those abilities. We'll also provide examples that show you how to include this critical information.
Why should you include communication skills in your resume?
While your hard skills - specific, measurable, job-related abilities - typically form the core of any job description's required qualifications, soft skills cannot be overlooked in your resume. In fact, those interpersonal abilities can play a significant role in any hiring decision that involves two otherwise equally competent candidates. If you're competing for a job against someone with equivalent technical capabilities and experience, that difference in soft skills may determine who gets hired.
When you include communication skills in your resume, you're letting an employer know that you have interpersonal abilities that can make you a valuable member of their team. That's an important consideration for any employer, of course. Companies want new hires who can do more than just fulfill their duties; they want team players who fit well within their organization.
Related post : The Essential Steps of Your Communication Process
Types of communication skills
It's important to understand what we mean when we talk about communication skills. For our purposes, we can categorize these skills into three distinct types:
Verbal skills . These communication skills include everything from conveying information or persuading others to public speaking and dealing with customer complaints.
Written skills . Many jobs require the ability to write in a concise and informative manner. These skills can include everything from informal emails to professional briefs, client presentations, and detailed reports for superiors.
Interpersonal skills . The third type of communication skill involves all those abilities that you use to interact with others. They can include things like empathy, active listening, and conflict resolution.
What are the top 11 communication skills employers want to see?
Below are 11 of the top communication skills for resumes. As you might expect, there are many others that you might want to consider as well. However, these 11 skills are among the most sought-after that employers are looking for in job candidates.
1. Active listening
Active listening is a prized communication skill. This ability goes well beyond simply hearing what others say, and instead involves the ability to actively understand their message. People with these skills can connect with others, build trust, and participate in collaborative problem-solving efforts.
Active listening includes a host of other skills, including the ability to ask probing questions, provide nonverbal and verbal cues that show that you're paying attention, and paraphrase what you're hearing to confirm your understanding of the message.
Related post : What are the Types of Listening Skills? 8 Types Explained
Empathy is a vital interpersonal trait and one of the most important leadership communication skills. People with empathy tend to be more curious and open-minded, have a keener sense of self-awareness, and are less likely to be hostage to their own natural biases and preconceptions. They value other people's perspectives and are willing to entertain ideas that challenge their beliefs.
3. Conflict management and resolution
Conflict is an inevitable feature of human interaction - including in the workplace. If you have excellent conflict resolution skills, it's important to highlight them in your resume. Employers will be interested in knowing that you're capable of resolving interpersonal conflict in your work setting, since that can have a direct and positive impact on productivity and workplace harmony.
4. Presentation skills
There are many jobs that require the ability to make presentations to superiors, customers, shareholders, or even coworkers. Good presentation skills enable you to compellingly convey information to others, persuade them to consider your point of view, or simply keep your target audience apprised of relevant developments.
5. Writing skills
Effective writing skills are important in virtually every industry and a wide variety of roles. Obviously, many jobs will require simple writing tasks like composing emails, but there are a whole host of other writing abilities that employers may be looking for. These can include everything from legal briefs or technical writing to advertising copy, marketing presentations, contract creation, and more. Depending on the job you're seeking, including these important communication skills in your resume could be vital.
6. Team building
The ability to build and work with teams is another important leadership communication skill for your resume. Whether you're interested in a managerial or executive role, this skill set is something that you'll need to succeed in that leadership position. Effective team builders know how to work with others to solve problems, are skilled in delegating work to competent subordinates, and know how to help team members reach their full potential.
Related post : 20 Key Leadership Competencies for Success (Plus Tips!)
Employers also appreciate candidates who possess useful motivational skills. While the ability to set goals, maintain a positive attitude, and rally others to achieve a shared objective is essential for leadership, it can also be an invaluable skill for anyone who works in a collaborative setting. By including these communication skills in your resume, you can ensure that employers recognize your ability to inspire others and drive productivity in the workplace.
Related post : 6 Qualities of Managers Who Practice Inspiring Leadership
8. Openness to feedback
Hiring managers also want to see that you're capable of receiving feedback, whether it's constructive criticism or praise. These skills reflect a commitment to teamwork and continual improvement, both of which are highly prized by today's employers. It's a bonus if you're also adept at providing feedback to others. That desire to develop as an employee and help others to reach their full potential can make you an attractive candidate for many jobs.
You might not think of honesty as a communication skill, but it is. Whether you're an entry-level worker or a manager, it's important for others to know that they can trust your words. Of course, honesty encompasses more than just being truthful. It also includes character traits like trustworthiness, responsibility, accountability, and reliability. Honest people are seen as authentic and confident, traits that all good leaders possess.
10. Emotional intelligence
As the workplace has grown more complex in recent years, hiring managers have placed greater emphasis on employees' emotional intelligence. That's a fancy term that simply describes your ability to manage your own emotions, understand your own interactions with others, and use that knowledge and insight to control stress, relate to others, communicate in a clear and effective way, and manage conflict.
People with high emotional intelligence often excel at interpersonal relations in the workplace and tend to be competent leaders. Their ability to recognize their own emotions and the feelings of others around them can help them to make more informed decisions. Including examples of your use of emotional intelligence can help to highlight those critical interpersonal communication skills in your resume.
Negotiation skills are also highly prized in most industries, so make sure that you highlight these abilities in your resume too. Successful negotiators are adept at problem-solving, persuasive communication, and conflict resolution - skills that are useful in nearly every industry. Include an achievement in your professional experience section that highlights your negotiation skills, demonstrating how those abilities provided measurable value to a previous employer.
Tips you can use to highlight these skills in your resume
Of course, being familiar with these different communication skills is just the first step. You also need to know how to highlight them in your resume. The following tips can help you with that process.
Match your skills to keywords in the job posting
Always make sure that you review the job posting to identify specific communication-related skills that are listed as job requirements. Wherever possible, use those exact terms in your resume as you describe various communication skills that you've used in previous jobs. That will help to ensure that your resume is found by an applicant tracking system when an employer conducts a search.
Focus on measurable achievements
Don't just say that you have certain communication skills. Show that you have them by including them as achievements in your resume summary or professional experience section. Make sure that you describe how you used those skills to produce measurable value for your employer. Use real numbers to help the reader understand the type of value you can provide as a potential hire.
Always be brief and to the point
Brevity is important, since hiring managers often sift through dozens or even hundreds of resumes. Make sure that you highlight communication skills and other abilities as concisely as possible to optimize space in your resume. Remember also that your writing skills will be on full display as you create the resume, so you probably won't need to spend much time boasting about them.
Communication skills: resume examples you can use
As we noted, there are several ways that you can highlight communication skills in your resume. You can include mention of them in your resume summary, list several within your core competencies section, and highlight examples of their use in your professional experience section. Below are some examples to show you how this is done.
Communication skills in your resume summary
Detail-oriented Office Manager with 10 years of experience managing office operations and interdepartmental communications. Managed 21-person team responsible for accounts totaling $123 million a year. Researched, drafted, and implemented interoffice communication changes that reduced waste by 22%, expedited internal processing and increased departmental revenue by 19% in the first year.
Communication skills in your skills section
Including these communication skills in your core competencies, or skills, section is a simple matter. Pick the skills that most closely align with the job requirements, and list them in bullet point form alongside other key soft skills and your technical proficiencies. For example:
Communication skills in your work experience section
When it comes to including your communication skills in a work experience section, you again need to focus on notable achievements. Use real numbers that demonstrate value and create several bullet point accomplishment examples for each job listing in this section. You only need to include a couple of examples of how you used your communication skills, of course, since you'll likely also want to highlight other core job-related skills too. Here are some examples that show how to do this:
Reorganized office information flow to speed up client onboarding and account management, resulting in growth of 12% in client acquisition and an increase of 40% in retention
Created an innovative training program for new office transfers, focused on new skills and employee growth. Program resulted in 60% drop in employee attrition, contributing to a 13% increase in revenues in the first quarter of implementation
Negotiated resolution to client conflict that saved a $2 million project contract and led to a 30% expansion in business with the customer over the next two years
Related post : 47 Accomplishment Examples for Your Resume: Expert Picks
Achieve job search success by including communication skills in your resume
Much of your resume will be devoted to highlighting your job-related skills and experiences, but that's no reason to neglect these important soft skills. Conveying effective communication skills in your resume can be a terrific way to demonstrate that you're the best candidate for any job, and may be just what you need to differentiate yourself from your competition!
Are you still not sure if you've properly included your communication skills in your resume? Get a free resume review from our team of experts today!
Soft Skills Explained - and the Top 7 for Your Resume
What Are Skills? (With Examples and Tips on How to Improve Them)
These 14 Leadership Traits Can Fuel Your Career Success
How to Write a Cover Letter (With Example)
Do Hiring Managers Actually Read Cover Letters?
How to Create a Resume With No Education
See how your resume stacks up.
Career Advice Newsletter
Our experts gather the best career & resume tips weekly. Delivered weekly, always free.
Thanks! Career advice is on its way.
Share this article:
Let's stay in touch.
Subscribe today to get job tips and career advice that will come in handy.
10 Best Resume Builders to Create A Great Resume – 2024 Guide
A re you exhausted from investing endless hours into creating an impeccable CV? This article introduces the top resume builders that will revolutionize your job application approach. Bid farewell to monotonous formatting and greet a remarkable resume that distinguishes itself from the rivalry. Prepare yourself to secure your dream job with self-assurance effortlessly!
>> Unlock Your Career Potential With Super Star Resume
10 Best Resume Writing Services
- Super Star Resume - Best overall
- ZipJob - Best for guarantees
- Resumeble - Best with custom bundles
- Let’s Eat, Grandma - Best for range of career service
- ResumeSpice - Best for job seekers of any level
- TopResume - Best customer service
- Resume Writing Services - Best for affordability
- Craft Resumes - Best for quick turnaround
- Resume Companion - Best value resume writing service
- Resume.com - Best free service
When creating this compilation, we considered different elements such as affordability, ease of use, accessibility, the privacy policies of the companies involved, and more. The highest-rated services offer advice, templates, and tools and allow you to consult with experts who can help you craft an impressive resume highlighting your strengths to potential employers.
Our collection comprises free services and those that make use of professional writers’ skills. Some options require a subscription or one-time payment.
>> Secure Your Dream Job With Super Star Resume
Super Star Resume - Best Resume Builder Overall
Star Rating: 4.9/5
Super Star Resume is an innovative resume builder that completely transforms creating professional resumes. By offering a user-friendly interface and a range of powerful features, Super Star Resume enables individuals to produce exceptional resumes that effectively showcase their abilities, accomplishments, and work history.
- Skilled and seasoned writers
- Customized strategy aligned with unique career objectives
- Timely delivery of resumes
- More significant expense compared to certain other resume writing services
- Restricted selection of additional services
- Availability may be restricted depending on demand and geographic location
- Intuitive resume builder: An intuitive interface that simplifies the resume creation process, offering modern templates for a professional look.
- Customization choices: Users can personalize their resumes by selecting from various font styles, colors, layouts, and sections to align with their unique style.
- Comprehensive content suggestions: Access to a collection of expertly curated bullet points, action verbs, and industry-specific phrases to craft impactful resume content.
- Real-time previews and editing: Real-time previewing and editing capabilities ensure a visually appealing and error-free final resume.
- Integration with professional networking platforms: Integration with LinkedIn allows users to maintain consistency between their online presence and resume.
- Tailored resumes for different job applications: The duplication feature facilitates the creation of multiple resume versions, each customized for specific job applications or industries.
- Resume analytics and tracking: Users can monitor the views and downloads of their resumes, gaining valuable insights to optimize their job search strategies.
- Professional Resume : $169
- Resume With Cover Letter : $199
- All-Included : $199
>> Use Super Star Resume to Secure Your Dream Job
ZipJob - Best Resume Builder for Guarantees
Star Rating: 4.7/5
ZipJob is widely regarded as an excellent option for resume creation, especially for those who value guarantees. Their impressive 60-day assurance ensures that individuals searching for employment will experience a surge in interview invitations within this period.
If this desired outcome cannot materialize, ZipJob proactively offers a complimentary review and revision of your resume. This guarantee highlights their commitment to client contentment and showcases their unwavering belief in the superior quality of their resume writing services.
- The starting package is cost-effective
- Complimentary ATS check included
- 60-day interview assurance with higher-tier packages
- The design and layout made it challenging to read the resume
- The summary section was overly lengthy and filled with clichés
- The formatting of the education and training sections was subpar
- Expert resume writers: ZipJob provides access to a team of expert resume writers with the skills and knowledge to review, evaluate, and optimize your resume for compatibility with Applicant Tracking Systems (ATS) and hiring managers.
- ATS optimization: Meaning they ensure your resume is structured and formatted to navigate and succeed in ATS filters effectively. Employers commonly use these filters to assess and rank resumes during the initial screening process.
- Keyword optimization: The resume builder online offered by ZipJob assists you in identifying and integrating pertinent keywords and industry-specific terminology. This practice heightens the visibility of your resume, making it more likely to capture the attention of hiring managers.
- Job-specific content suggestions: ZipJob provides valuable advice regarding the most relevant and influential content to include in your resume for different job titles and industries. This guidance is invaluable in customizing your resume for specific roles.
- Cover letter writing assistance: ZipJob supports the creation of impactful cover letters that complement your resume, strengthening your overall job application.
- Unlimited revisions: One noteworthy feature of ZipJob is the option for unlimited revisions and updates to your resume. This ensures that your resume not only meets but continues to meet your specific requirements and mirrors your professional growth.
- Collaboration with resume writers: the platform facilitates direct collaboration with the resume writers, enabling you to share additional information, discuss specific requirements, and seek clarifications at any stage of the resume creation process.
- Launch Package: $139 (or $48/mo)
- Fast Track Package: $189 (or $65/mo)
- Premium Package: $299 (or $27/mo)
>> Use ZipJob to Secure Your Dream Job
Resumeble - Best Resume Builder With Custom Bundles
Star Rating: 4.3/5
Resumeble is a highly efficient and user-friendly resume builder that empowers individuals to create professional and compelling resumes. With Resumeble, crafting a standout resume becomes a streamlined process thanks to its intuitive interface and extensive range of customizable templates.
Whether you’re a recent graduate, a seasoned professional, or someone looking to change careers, Resumeble caters to all needs and skill sets. It offers helpful suggestions and expert advice to ensure your resume showcases your unique qualifications and achievements in the best possible light.
- A 60-day interview guarantee is included
- Budget-friendly package deals are available
- It’s more established than some other websites
- Keyword optimization: This feature helps optimize your resume by suggesting relevant keywords aligned with your target industry or job, enhancing your visibility to Applicant Tracking Systems (ATS) and recruiters.
- Content import: Resumeble allows you to import your existing resume or LinkedIn profile, saving you the time and effort of manual data entry.
- Real-time editing: You have the convenience of editing and modifying your resume in real time, providing the flexibility to experiment with various formats, sections, and content.
- ATS compatibility: Resumeble ensures your resume is ATS-compatible, essential for better visibility and a higher chance of being shortlisted by employers using Applicant Tracking Systems.
- Download options: The platform offers various download formats, including PDF, Word, and plain text, ensuring compatibility with diverse application processes.
- Cover letter builder: Resumeble features an integrated cover letter builder, streamlining the creation of professional and personalized cover letters that complement your resume.
- Career Pro Package : $159.00
- Professional Package : $299.00
- Premium Package : $399.00
>> Use Resumeble to Secure Your Dream Job
Let’s Eat, Grandma - Best Resume Builder for Range of Career Service
Star Rating: 4/5
Let’s Eat, Grandma is an inventive and progressive tool for creating impressive resumes. The platform streamlines the resume-building process, making it easier for job seekers to craft exceptional resumes. With Let’s Eat, Grandma, individuals can create unique resumes that catch the eye of employers and set them apart from the competition.
This user-friendly platform offers a range of customizable templates that allow users to tailor their resumes to showcase their specific skills and experiences. Let’s Eat, Grandma also provides expert advice and recommendations to help ensure that your qualifications and achievements are effectively highlighted in your resume.
- Complimentary resume evaluation
- Choices available for individuals from entry-level to executive-level positions
- Extensive collaboration opportunities
- Not specialized in academic CVs or federal resumes
- Relatively higher pricing compared to some other services
- Potential for a longer turnaround time compared to competing services
- Expert choice: You can save your resume in multiple formats (PDF, Word, plain text) or easily share it with potential employers via email or a link, simplifying the distribution of your resume.
- Error highlighting: The builder can identify potential errors, inconsistencies, or missing information within your resume and provide suggestions or alerts for improvement.
- Section prompts: Pre-written prompts for various resume sections (e.g., work experience, education, skills) can help you structure your resume effectively and ensure you include essential details in each area.
- Customizable sections: You can add, remove, or rearrange sections to tailor your resume to emphasize your strengths and relevant experiences.
- Keyword optimization: The resume builder can recommend industry-specific keywords based on the job description, enhancing your resume’s chances of passing through Applicant Tracking Systems (ATS) and grabbing the attention of hiring managers.
- Starter Package : Priced at $439, but there is an anti-inflation sale price of $389.
- Accelerated Package : $549.
- The premium Package : $689, but the anti-inflation sale price is $614.
- Executive Concierge Service : $1,899 or as low as $119/month.
>> Use Let’s Eat, Grandma to Secure Your Dream Job
ResumeSpice - Best Resume Builder for Job Seekers of Any Level
Star Rating: 3.8/5
ResumeSpice , a renowned online resume builder, streamlines crafting professional resumes. This platform provides job seekers with a user-friendly interface and a wide selection of templates, enabling them to create impressive resumes that align with their career objectives.
With ResumeSpice’s seamless experience, users are guided through each resume section effortlessly while receiving valuable tips throughout the process. From personal details and work history to skills and accomplishments, this platform ensures that all crucial aspects of a resume are comprehensively addressed.
- Additional assistance
- Timely service
- ATS optimization
- Guaranteed interviews
- Restricted revisions
- Insufficient customization options
- Restricted refund policy
- User-friendly interface: ResumeSpice boasts an intuitive and user-friendly platform, simplifying the resume creation process and offering a seamless experience to users.
- Extensive template library: The platform offers a vast selection of professionally designed templates tailored to various industries and job positions. Users can explore different styles and layouts to find the perfect match for their needs.
- Import and export options: ResumeSpice enables users to import their existing resumes in formats like PDF or Word for easy editing and updates. Users can conveniently export their finalized resumes in multiple formats, facilitating sharing with employers or uploading to job portals.
- Mobile-friendly design: ResumeSpice is optimized for mobile devices, allowing users to create and modify their resumes using smartphones or tablets.
- Cloud storage: The platform provides secure cloud storage for users’ resumes, ensuring accessibility and updates from any device with an internet connection.
- Resume tracking: ResumeSpice includes tools for tracking the performance of submitted resumes, such as monitoring views, downloads, and application outcomes. These features empower users to evaluate their progress and make data-driven enhancements to their job search strategies.
- Entry Level Resume : $479
- Professional Resume : $589
- Executive Resume : $699
>> Use ResumeSpice to Secure Your Dream Job
TopResume - Best Resume Builder for Customer Service
Star Rating: 3.6/5
TopResume is an outstanding resume builder explicitly tailored for customer service professionals. It offers a seamless and user-friendly experience, enabling users to create exceptional resumes effortlessly. The platform goes beyond just providing a basic resume template, offering valuable suggestions and tips to optimize the content.
This ensures that each resume created on TopResume is unique and attention-grabbing in the highly competitive job market.
Besides its user-friendly interface, TopResume provides expert review services. These services allow skilled professionals to provide personalized feedback on resumes, helping enhance their overall quality further. By leveraging this feedback and incorporating attention to detail, customer service professionals can create compelling resumes that effectively capture the attention of potential employers.
- Streamlined registration process
- Well-designed and formatted one-page resume
- The summary and Job Scope sections were overly extended
- The training section needed to have prominence
- Skill-based sections: The resume builder features dedicated sections highlighting essential customer service skills, including communication, problem-solving, conflict resolution, and relationship building.
- Expert review services: TopResume provides expert review services where experienced professionals offer personalized feedback and recommendations to enhance the overall quality of your resume.
- ATS compatibility: The platform ensures that the resumes created are compatible with Applicant Tracking Systems (ATS), which employers commonly use for scanning and filtering resumes.
- Download and sharing options: Users can download their resumes in various formats, such as PDF or Word, and easily share them with potential employers or upload them to job portals.
- Industry-Specific Tips: TopResume offers industry-specific tips and guidance to assist users in tailoring their resumes to the customer service field, helping them stand out among competitors.
- Cover letter builder: Besides resume building, TopResume provides a builder that empowers users to craft professional and compelling cover letters customized for customer service roles.
- Mobile accessibility: The platform is mobile-friendly, allowing users to create, edit, and update their resumes while on the go, using their smartphones or tablets.
- Entry level : Up to 200$.
- Professional level : Up to 200$-400$.
- Executive level : Up to $350-$700.
>> Use TopResume to Secure Your Dream Job
Resume Writing Services - Best Resume Builder for Affordability
Star Rating: 3.3/5
While Resumewritingservices.org may be a different size than its competitors, it stands out due to its team of talented and experienced resume writers. The website is user-friendly and provides exceptional service. However, this service’s true strength lies in its writers’ expertise.
Resumewritingservices.org sets itself apart by offering a comprehensive consultation process and goes beyond expectations by providing unlimited calls with its resume writers. This personalized approach distinguishes them from other companies and guarantees each client receives individual attention and support.
- Experienced resume writers of the highest caliber
- Unlimited phone consultations and revisions
- More expensive than rival services
- A limited range of products
- Skilled and experienced resume writers: Resumewritingservices.org takes pride in its team of highly trained and professional resume writers who possess a deep understanding of crafting effective resumes.
- Personalized service: Resumewritingservices.org offers a personal touch by providing unlimited calls with their resume writers. This unique feature allows clients to engage in direct communication and close collaboration with the writers throughout the resume creation process.
- Competitive job market expertise: The writers at Resumewritingservices.org have knowledge of current job market trends. This ensures that the resumes they create are optimized to excel in today’s fiercely competitive job market.
- Quality Assurance: The service maintains a rigorous quality assurance process to guarantee that the resumes delivered to clients meet the highest standards and align with their expectations.
- Timely delivery: Resumewritingservices.org is committed to delivering resumes within the agreed-upon timeframe, ensuring clients receive their documents promptly.
- Client satisfaction guarantee: Resumewritingservices.org offers a client satisfaction guarantee, assuring clients are fully content with the final resume. The service is ready to provide revisions if necessary.
- Affordable pricing: Resumewritingservices.org provides pricing options that are competitive and transparent, making professional resume writing accessible to a wide range of job seekers.
Resumewritingservices.org employs a pricing system that is clear and easy to understand for their resume-building services. The initial package begins at $270 , including a comprehensive consultation with a skilled resume writer and developing an individualized resume.
They offer extra options that enable customers to personalize their packages based on their unique preferences. This adaptable pricing strategy guarantees that clients can choose the services that align with their requirements and financial constraints.
>> Use Resume Writing Services to Secure Your Dream Job
Craft Resumes - Best Resume Builder for Quick-Turnaround
Star Rating: 3/5
Craft Resumes stand out as a well-established writing and editing service known for its ability to deliver effective outcomes. Our dedication to providing a 24-hour turnaround guarantees you’ll receive the initial version of your resume promptly.
Navigating our user-friendly website is effortless, making it easy to use our services. At Craft Resumes, we specialize in crafting customized resumes to match your skills, qualifications, and aspirations for your career.
- Speedy completion
- Customized CVs
- Intuitive site
- Insufficient details
- Absence of assurances
- Quick turnaround: Craft Resumes commits to delivering the initial draft of your resume within 24 hours, ensuring a speedy and efficient service.
- Expert Writers: Craft Resumes prides itself on its team of experienced writers who possess expertise across various industries and stay up-to-date with current hiring trends. They’re dedicated to making your resume stand out and catch the attention of potential employers.
- Unlimited revisions: We provide unlimited revisions to guarantee your complete satisfaction. If you have specific changes or additions in mind, our team will collaborate with you closely to implement the modifications.
- Confidentiality and Privacy: At Craft Resumes, we prioritize the confidentiality and privacy of your personal information. You can trust that your data will be handled securely and with the utmost discretion.
- Tailored resumes: We specialize in tailoring resumes to align with your career objectives, industry, and job requirements. Each resume is personalized to accentuate your unique strengths and qualifications.
- Resume Writing : $229.00
- Basic : $279.99
- Optimal : $339.99
- All-In-One : $499.99
>> Use Craft Resumes to Secure Your Dream Job
Resume Companion - Best Value Resume Builder
Star Rating: 2.8/5
Resume Companion is a virtual platform and service that specializes in aiding individuals in creating resumes that are professional and impactful. It offers an array of resources and tools to assist job seekers in crafting interesting resumes that effectively showcase their skills, experiences, and qualifications.
A prominent feature of Resume Companion is its user-friendly resume builder. This tool allows users to select from various professionally designed templates and personalize them based on their specific requirements.
Users can effortlessly incorporate their personal information, employment history, educational background, skill set, and other pertinent details to produce a customized resume tailored to their needs.
- Intuitive user interface
- High-quality templates
- Efficiency-boosting functions
- Cost-effective choice
- Restricted editing features without subscription
- Absence of extensive customization options
- Limited availability of extra services
- Cover letter builder: Resume Companion goes beyond resumes and provides users with a tool for crafting customized cover letters tailored to specific job applications. This feature guides users through the process, helping them effectively present their qualifications and make a compelling case to prospective employers.
- ATS optimization: In today’s job market, many companies use Applicant Tracking Systems (ATS) to screen resumes. Resume Companion helps users ensure their resumes are ATS-friendly. The platform offers valuable tips and insights on incorporating relevant keywords, formatting the document correctly, and increasing the likelihood of passing through the ATS screening process.
- Educational resources: Resume Companion extends its services by offering an informative blog and educational materials that cover various aspects of resume writing, job search strategies, interview techniques, and career development guidance. These resources provide users with valuable insights and advice to help them create impressive resumes and enhance their job search efforts.
- Download and sharing options: Upon completing their resumes, users can conveniently download their documents in multiple formats, including PDF and Word. Resume Companion also makes it easy for users to share their resumes online or print them offline.
- Customer support: Resume Companion values user satisfaction and offers customer support to assist with users’ questions or concerns while utilizing the platform. Users can access support through email or the platform’s contact form.
Resume Companion provides a cost-effective solution for individuals seeking an all-inclusive service. It’s vital to remember subscription renewal is required to access future editing services. In summary, Resume Companion offers a wallet-friendly option for those who desire a user-friendly resume-building experience without needing advanced writing abilities.
>> Use Resume Companion to Secure Your Dream Job
Our Ranking Methodology for Best Resume Writing Services
To comprehensively and objectively rank the top resume writing services, it is essential to have a thorough methodology. The first step in this process was conducting extensive research and analysis. This involved gathering a comprehensive list of reputable resume-writing services from multiple sources such as online searches, customer reviews, industry directories, and personal recommendations.
- Feature analysis: Evaluate the functionalities provided by each resume builder, considering elements like template variety and quality, customization flexibility, user-friendly editing and formatting options, import/export capabilities, spell check and grammar tools, and integration with job search platforms and professional networks.
- Template collection: Examine the assortment and quality of templates. Look for a wide range that suits various industries, job levels, and design preferences, considering these templates’ aesthetics, readability, and contemporary design.
- Editing and customization: Scrutinize the adaptability and user-friendliness of the editing and customization tools each resume builder provides. Assess the capacity to add or modify sections, reorganize content, and tailor resumes to specific job requirements.
- User interface and experience: Analyze the user interface and the overall user experience each resume builder offers. Evaluate the ease of navigation, instruction clarity, guidance or prompts, and the platform’s responsiveness.
- Integration with job search platforms: Determine whether resume builders offer seamless integration with popular job search platforms and professional networks like LinkedIn or ATS systems. Consider how well the resumes can be transferred and their compatibility with these platforms.
- Additional resources: Evaluate if the resume builders provide extra resources such as sample resumes, tools for creating cover letters, interview tips, or career advice. Consider the breadth and practicality of these supplementary resources.
- Mobile-friendliness: Gauge the mobile-friendliness and responsiveness of the resume builders, recognizing the growing trend of mobile job searching and application processes.
- Customer support: Reflect on the accessibility and quality of customer support services, encompassing options like live chat, email support, or knowledge bases. Assess the responsiveness and helpfulness of the support team.
- Pricing and value for money: Appraise the pricing plans presented by the resume builders in terms of the value they offer based on features, usability, and overall service quality.
- Industry reputation: Consider the standing and trustworthiness of the resume builders, considering factors such as awards, recognition, partnerships, and user feedback from reputable sources.
Buyer’s Guide: Why Use a Resume Builder?
Crafting a well-crafted CV comes naturally to particular job seekers. However, even the most seasoned experts may need help in resume writing. If you find yourself in need of help with creating a compelling resume, here are several ways in which the best online resume builder can be beneficial:
Resume builders provide users with pre-designed templates and helpful tips, streamlining the process of writing a resume and alleviating stress.
Offers Writing Tips
Promoting oneself requires considerable effort. Only some people possess writing skills, even if they enjoy self-promotion. To showcase one’s experience and knowledge effectively, a resume builder can help select the most appropriate words and phrases.
In every field, there are unique standards for an impressive resume. If you need to gain knowledge in design or the tools, resume builders can provide free templates to enhance your resume’s visual appeal and quality.
Applicant Tracking Systems (ATS)
Recruiters often use ATS systems to scan resumes. A good resume builder will help with formatting to ensure that your resume is easy for these systems to read.
What’s the Best Resume Builder?
The ideal resume builder for each individual may differ according to their specific requirements. If you prefer a tool that offers step-by-step guidance in creating your resume, we suggest using a builder that provides helpful tips and recommendations. If you prefer a resume builder that auto-generates a summary, we recommend using a tool that extracts information from your LinkedIn profile.
For those who enjoy having creative control over their resumes, we suggest using a platform with features. By selecting the resume builder that aligns with your needs and suits your industry and personal style, you’ll significantly increase your chances of capturing the attention of hiring managers.
Resume Builder vs. Resume Writing Service: What Matters for You
When it comes to crafting a resume, there are three options available. You can opt to create it independently, use a resume builder tool, or enlist the services of a professional resume writer. Your best choice will depend on your writing abilities, available time, and financial resources.
You have the choice to construct a resume entirely by yourself. The benefit of this option is that it costs nothing but requires a significant amount of effort. Along with composing all the information, you must possess graphic design skills.
This approach works well if you have these abilities, but with them, your options for creating a resume are unlimited. To overcome this limitation, you can use a resume builder or enlist the help of a resume writing service.
A tool for creating resumes allows you to input your details into a template, resulting in an original appearance and layout with no design work. The top resume building tools also offer suggestions on enhancing your resume and tailoring it to match the specific job you are applying for.
While you are still responsible for writing the content, once it is written, you can quickly transfer that information into any other template with just a few simple clicks. Some of these services are free and many like to promote themselves as such, but most require a small payment to download your finished resume.
Professional Resume Writing Service
Professional resume writing services are expensive, but they offer the convenience of handling all the work for you. An experienced writer will gather relevant information about your background and transform it into a unique and engaging resume.
The process typically takes a few days, and the level of originality in the outcome largely relies on your choice of company and writer. However, we will not delve into these services further in this guide.
Are Resume Builders Worth It?
Definitely, without a doubt. An effective resume creator will guarantee that your CV is formatted correctly to navigate Applicant Tracking Systems and ultimately reach the hands of recruiters.
Is It Unprofessional to Use a Microsoft Word Resume Template?
Relying on a template will not set you apart, and there is a high likelihood that your application will be dismissed because your resume is identical to those of other job seekers.
Choosing the right resume builder is crucial in today’s competitive job market. Creating a professional and impactful resume that stands out from the crowd can significantly impact your job search. With the right tool, you can save time, improve your chances of landing an interview, and ultimately secure your dream job.
When selecting a resume builder, consider your specific needs and priorities. Look for features like customizable templates, industry-specific examples, and the ability to export your resume in different formats. Consider user reviews and ratings to ensure you choose a reputable and reliable platform.
Remember, an exceptional tool for crafting resumes should give you the power to present your skills, experience, and accomplishments effectively. It should simplify and expedite creating a resume without hassle. Investing in a reliable resume builder is investing in your professional future.
Therefore, explore the different options available for resume builders. Test out their free trials or demos and choose the best fit for your objectives. Our top recommendation is Super Star Resume . This meticulously designed resume can open doors to exciting career prospects and be a dependable companion on your journey toward success.
Ahad Waseem is a business, blockchain, and cybersecurity writer who often takes on art, politics, and economics too. As a linguistic engineer who writes to solve problems, he’s written for various tech and business publications. When he’s not writing, he’s probably on horseback, caring for his houseplants, or training Bonsai trees. He can be reached at [email protected] . McClatchy’s newsrooms were not involved in the creation of this content. We may earn a commission if you make a purchase through one of our links.
©2023 Miami Herald. Visit miamiherald.com. Distributed by Tribune Content Agency, LLC.